The Project: The Piedmont Triad Airport Authority (PTAA) is now opening up the search for artists with an open call for large outdoor sculptures that can be installed on 4’ x 7’ concrete bases (there is space for overhang if slightly larger). This project is open to all artists in the State of North Carolina and southern Virginia. The artwork will be on loan for one year.
The Sites: Lower Level, Outside of Baggage Claim. Area is open to elements but covered.
The Outdoor Sculpture Spaces are 6” deep cement pads that are approximately 4′ x 7′. Work will be bolted to the concrete pad by the artist.
The Budget: The artwork will be on loan to the PTAA. There is funding available for all transportation and installation costs. The work will be insured while exhibited at the PTI Airport.
Artist Eligibility: The Call to Artists is open to all artists who live or work in the State of North Carolina and southern Virginia. Artists within the Piedmont Triad Area will be given preference. The Piedmont Triad consists of the 12 counties of Alamance, Caswell, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Guilford, Montgomery, Randolph, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, and Yadkin.
Application Process: The Airport Authority will manage the application and selection process.
Timeline for Applications:
Deadline for submissions May 12, 2017
First Selection Panel May 2017
Artists Contacted in June 2017
Installation of Large, Outdoor Sculpture August/ September 2017
Brochure of Airport Art Walking Tour Completed September 2017
- A PC-compatible disc or thumb drive sent via mail or information sent through the Internet with a set of digital images of works available. Accompany all submissions with a photo of the image, name of artist, title of work, media and size.
- A professional resume and an artist’s statement (a short, one page letter stating interest in the project, outline artist’s approach to art and public art. Please include any connections you may have to the Piedmont Triad area.)
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of your materials, if necessary.
- All materials must be postmarked no later than May 12, 2017.
- Notification of Artist Selection Panel results and the return of materials will be made by approximately May 25, 2017. Please mail information to:
PTI Public Art Project
c/o Stephanie Freeman
1000 A. Ted Johnson Parkway
Greensboro, NC 27409
If emailing information please send to Cheryl Stewart, Public Art Consultant at: [email protected]. Also contact Cheryl with any questions about RFQ and Selection process through email.