The Project: The Piedmont Triad Airport Authority (PTAA) is now opening up the search for artists with an open call for two-dimensional paintings, photographs, mixed media and small, three-dimensional sculpture (Plexiglas cover is 24”x24”x30”) and large outdoor sculpture. This project is open to all artists in the State of North Carolina. Artists from the Piedmont Triad will be given preference.
- The 2-D exhibition sites include a 36’ wall on the lower level, north baggage claim area as well as two 8 foot walls at the bottom of the central escalator. Each site has secured hanging apparatus for safe and easy installation.
- The Plexiglas pedestals are 48” high with a cover that is 24”w x 24”d x 30”h. These pedestals are located in the Meet & Greet Areas of the upper level.
- The Outdoor Sculpture Spaces are 6” deep cement pads that are approximately 6′ x 6′. Work will be bolted to the cement pad by the artist.
- The Public Art Committee is also continuously looking for new spaces in the terminal and is open to temporary installation ideas as well.
The Budget: The artwork will be on loan to the PTAA. There may be some funding available for travel, exhibition expenses and installation costs. The work will be insured while exhibited at the PTI Airport.
Artist Eligibility: The Call to Artists is open to all artists who live or work in the State of North Carolina. Artists within the Piedmont Triad Area will be given preference. The Piedmont Triad consists of the 12 counties of Alamance, Caswell, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Guilford, Montgomery, Randolph, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, and Yadkin.
Application Process: The Airport Authority will manage the application and selection process.
Timeline for Applications:
Deadline for submissions March 3, 2017
First Selection Panel March 2017
Artists Contacted in April 2017
Installation of Interior spaces May 2017
Installation of Large, Outdoor Sculpture August/ September 2017
Brochure of Art Walking Tour Completed September 2017
- A PC-compatible disc or thumb drive sent via mail or information sent through the Internet with a set of 5-10 digital images of works of previously completed works of art. Accompany all submissions with an annotated image list, preferably with a photo of the image, name of artist, title of work, media and size.
- A professional resume and an artist’s statement (a one page letter stating interest in the project, outline artist’s approach to art and public art. Please include any connections you may have to the Piedmont Triad area.)
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of your materials, if necessary.
- All materials must be postmarked no later than March 3, 2017.
- Notification of Artist Selection Panel results and the return of materials will be made by approximately May 25, 2017. Please mail information to:
PTI Public Art Project
c/o Stephanie Freeman
1000 A. Ted Johnson Parkway
Greensboro, NC 27409
If emailing information please send to Cheryl Stewart, Public Art Consultant at: [email protected]. Also contact Cheryl with any questions about RFQ and Selection process through email.